Sunday, September 14, 2008

Live Free or Die Hard


Fourth in the Die Hard series, Live Free or Die Hard brings John McClain back to the big screen for more big action. In this round, John is up against a disillusioned former government computer security genius who has decided to prove a point by taking down the entire network - travel, communications and utilities - of the United States. This "fire sale" is what he had warned them of in a manner so dramatic that they booted him out... hence the cranky pants. McClain and a young hacker played by "I'm a Mac" Justin Long travel from New Jersey to DC and further down the coast doing their best to be a thorn in the tuckus of the evil mastermind and trying to put an end to his scheme. McClain's daughter gets brought into the mix in case he wasn't motivated enough, and a bevy of henchmen try to get in his way (they do about as well as any of the henchmen in previous Die Hard flicks). I'll get into more specifics with the ratings, so why don't we just jump on in...

Original Release: 2007
Running Time: 130 minutes
(Get a refresher course on how I rate my movies.)
Death - $2
It's a freakin Die Hard movie... what do you expect? People are shot... blown up... ground to bits... and shot some more! All kinds of death, and all kinds of awesome. I don't think I need to say any more than that.

Hardee-Har-Har - $1
While the Die Hard flicks are known mostly for their action, they are also pretty darn funny. McClain's wise cracks and annoying banter with his antagonists is par for the course, and the later films in the series add "side kick" characters for more comedic value, and in this one we get Justin Long as a (you guessed it) relatively awkward and nerdy dude. Live Free keeps the pace and has fun little bits interspersed with all the action.

Repeat Play - $1
I saw Die Hard With a Vengeance in the theater 5 times. It hasn't been quite that extreme for Live Free, but I've still watched it (if only in part) at least a dozen times since it came out. Part of that is its residency in my DVD collection, but some of the blame also falls on HBO for playing it so damn much. This is one of the movies that I can easily watch when lounging on the couch on the weekends... be it mid-afternoon or in the evening (if I'm not at the pub).

Hello Ladies - $1
I love me some Maggie Q. No other way to say it. She is SMOKIN! She's looking mighty fine in Live Free, and giving McClain a run for his money in their confrontations. She's not alone though... Mary Elizabeth Winstead plays Lucy (McClain's daughter) and is one of the ladies that would definitely make it to the list of Underrated Hotties (slight inside joke there gang... my apologies).

Action and Ass-Kickery - $2
Tons... and I mean TONS of action. Car chases, explosions, helicopters, and a freaking fighter jet! Let me put it to you like this. He blows up a helicopter with a police car. OH... and it has that crazy Frech action guy from District B-13 (review coming soon) that does stunts and freestyle running like you wouldn't believe.
Total Rating: $7

Whether or not you are a fan of the Die Hard series, I truly think you will like Live Free or Die Hard. It has enough of a connection to the others that its enjoyable for traditionalists, but different enough that you don't have to know the background to follow and enjoy. It is all you would expect and more out of a big blockbuster action flick with the big stars and strong supporting cast to keep it from being completely mindless.

As always, I welcome you to share your thoughts. If you agree or if you think I need to lay off the pipe, then just leave a comment to let me and the masses know. Adios.

No comments: