Saturday, October 11, 2008

Superbad


For a while there, it felt like we wouldn't be able to see another comedy in our life that wasn't based on some whacky new version of the same characters we keep see being played by Adam Sandler or Will Ferrell. Then the Almighty graced us with Seth Rogen. Now I know what you might be saying... "Hey Ten Dollah, don't you recall the small part Seth Rogen had in Anchorman? And didn't you know that Apatow Productions was behind as many of Seth's movies as Will's?" Well, good reader, first of all you should keep your thougths to yourself unless you're leaving a comment below. This is my damn blog so just let me write it already. And secondly, yes I knew both of those were the case. So put that in your pipe and smoke it. Rogen's involvement on-screen and in-script on other recent kick-ass rib-ticklers (such as The 40-Year-Old Vigin and Knocked Up - reviews pending) have shown us that he has a bright future indeed.

In Superbad, we see Rogen as a county cop that gets mixed up in an evening full of pre-graduation high school antics. Two best friends (played by Michael Cera and Jonah Hill) make a last-ditch effort to win the girls of their (wet) dreams and enlist the help of the their nerdy third wheel Fogel to score booze for the girls' big party with his new fake ID. The problems and zany adventures begin when he takes this new ID - which happens to say he's a 25-year-old guy from Hawaii with named purely "McLovin" - and the other two mistake an untimely liquor store robbery with their pal getting busted by the 5-0. Instead of giving you too much more of the story, I'll just leave you with this... these are the kinds of antics that nerdy guys in high school (like me back in the day) always dream of.

Original Release: 2007
Running Time: 114 minutes

(Get a look back at the Ten Dollah rating system.)
Hardee-Har-Har - $2
Good lord. Typical high school friendly banter and ribbing was not held back at all. They have these kids saying the kind of crap that we all said back then... none of this candy-coated Hollywood high school nonsense. Each turn in their night-long course of calamities adds another layer of humor and brings in more zany characters to the freak show. Solid laughs across the board here folks. Sit back and enjoy.

Acting - $1
A comedy with a mostly younger cast, you get what you expect here. Michael Cera and Jonah Hill both deliver a little above and beyond some of their counterparts but I get the feeling nobody really had "Oscar" running through their minds while filming. Don't get me wrong though... the acting isn't bad at all. It is actually surprisingly decent... just not quite enough for a full $2.

Repeat Play - $1
I love this movie and can watch it more frequently than a lot of movies - let alone comedies - but it just doesn't have enough to keep me watching it over and over. Whenever I find out someone hasn't seen it yet I will almost force them to watch it, and sit there to make sure they do, but it doesn't have the subtle nuances that a comedy has to have to make me watch it repeatedly. I don't really get anything new out of another viewing, but I do know it is a guaranteed enjoyable two hours.

Hello Ladies - $1
The lovely ladies that catch the eyes of our protagonists are believably attractive... and I think that is important here. They aren't going after the ridiculously hot head cheerleader or any crap like that. Each of the three gals are cute in their own way, and seem like what these personalities would go after in any high school across the country. Now... I was hesitant to use this category because this movie is about high school. Fear not, fair readers... I made sure to check the birthdays on IMDB so I don't have to worry about my own local law enforcement kicking down my door and putting "minimum distance" regulations on the table.

Pump up the Jams - $1
Big Poppa... These Eyes... Ace of Spades. On their own, these three would be enough to get my attention. But these sweet tracks are also joined by a mix of catchy hits from across the decades.

Total Rating: $6

Superbad is far from that. In fact, it is SuperNOTbad. It is one of the better comedies to come out in recent years and is one of the few that I was actually willing to add to the collection. Dare I say this might even be a new classic? Nah... that might be a bit much. But, I don't know anyone that has seen this movie and not liked it and I think that says something. Until next time... I bid you farewell!

No comments: