Sunday, October 12, 2008

Black Sheep


If you are reading this with the hopes of hearing about Chris Farley and his obesity-ridden slapstick comedy... well... just stop reading now. This Black Sheep comes to us from the lovely people of New Zealand who obviously never want us to visit. I say that because this movie likely comes from one of two things - either some sort of factual events, or some truly F-ed up minds. Either way, I think I will be steering clear of Australia's little sister for the time being.

Black Sheep follows Angus, a young NZ lad raised on a sheep farm who is traumatized as a child by his older brother and grows an unhealthy fear of the docile creatures. Upon returning to the farm years later for family reasons that aren't important enough to get into here, he is forced to face his fears. Secret research and experimentation has been conducted on the farm and the result is a new breed of sheep... one that enjoys the taste of human flesh. A couple of stupid tree-hugging squirrel-humping hippies unwittingly let the beasts loose in their effort to balance their karma with mother earth (or for whatever reason hippies do anything) and unsuspecting folks on the farm are forced to run from the crazed critters in order to survive and keep them from escaping and spread like a herd of wooly death.

I don't know any of the actors in the film, nor am I familiar with anything else put out by the director or producer, so I will just go ahead and jump into the review.

Original Release: 2007
Running Time: 87 minutes
(Take a gander at the rating system.)
Death - $2
Sheep eating people.
Wait a moment, and let that soak in. Sheep. Eating. People.
What part of a plot like this made you think there would be any less than two dollars worth of death? Seriously. It's awesome. Human death... sheep death... other-thing-I-don't-want-to-spoil death. It's all over the place and much more gory and creative than I had expected. Well played New Zealand... well played.

Effects & Animation - $1
For the most part, the effects are pretty bad. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it was pretty intentional though, so I'll still give them a dollar here. Some of the sheep look more real than others, but I like the fact that it is all animatronics and true effects. If any of it had been digital effects then I would have just told them to not quit their day jobs.

Critters & Creatures - $2
So, you read the part above about the man-eating sheep right? Yeah, well add to that a creepy little test-tube zombie sheep fetus and a crazy man-sheep (would that be a "wereWOOLf"?) I will gladly throw a couple dollars their way here for creativity alone.

Shock Value - $1
I didn't really know what to expect with this one. I mean, yes I knew there were going to be a baa-baa here and a baa-baa there, but they actually threw more surprises and twists than anticipated. Never knowing which sheep were evil and which weren't kept me on my toes too.

Billicious - $1
Black Sheep is one of the movies in my collection that helped spark the creation of Ten Dollar Reviews. This is the type of movie that my sister and I both love - even if we can't quite say why - and want to share with our friends and family that we know would never give it a second thought. If you are sick of being subjected to the same sci-fi / horror / comedy movies year in and year out, then I beg you to give this a try and see how it sits.

Total Rating: $7

For the outro tonight, I think I will leave you with a couple taglines that they used in the promotion of this film...
  • Violence of the Lambs
  • There are 40 million sheep in New Zealond, and they're pissed off!
In all seriousness though... it's like someone decided to film a sequel to 28 Days Later at a petting zoo. Just give it a try! And if you do, then I beg you to leave me a comment to let me know what you think.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

LOL, I love this review!
My brother and I have the same movie..."Killer Clowns From Outer Space", I can't explain it either! :)