Sunday, April 26, 2009

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Forgetting Sarah Marshall spins a tale of love lost, broken hearts and the world's worst vacation. Peter Bretter has just been dumped by his celebrity super-hotty girlfriend of five years for another man. He's having a difficult time with the breakup and this is only made worse by the fact that his job is the composer for her hit TV show. To help clear his head and move on with his life, he goes to Hawaii only to find that Sarah (played by Kristen Bell by the way) is at the same hotel with her new British pop star boyfriend. Lucky for him, the lovely young lady at the front desk and several other members of the hotel staff are there to help him... and did I mention that the lovely young lady at the front desk is smokin hot? Between her hotness, the ragtag hotel staff and guests' kindness, and his step brothers words of wisdom, Peter slowly starts to move on despite the endless run-ins with Sarah and her horny Brit boy. Alrighty... on to the review.

Original Release: 2008
Running Time: 112 minutes
Hardee-Har-Har - $2
This isn't one of those comedies that you will hear your coworkers quoting at the water cooler, but that's because the vast majority of the funny lines aren't appropriate for the workplace. And you know what? I love it! As I'm sitting here watching it for the second time I find myself laughing out loud... and probably looking like an idiot since I'm sitting by myself. But I don't care... it's funny!!

Repeat Play - $1
The only thing keeping this from getting a full $2 is the awkward moments. But they are a necessary part of the movie, so I can't fault it for that. Everyone has had their bad breakups and their awkward post-breakup moments (feel free to share yours in the comments section) so I'm sure we can all relate to the brutally constant ones here, but I have to say that I'm not always up for a movie filled with awkward.

Hello Ladies - $2
Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis... yup.

Romantics - $1
Since the whole basis of the movie is the pain and difficulty of break-ups I didn't really expect there to be much romance. And it isn't by any means a "romantic comedy". I'd be more comfortable calling it a "borderline inappropriate comedy laced with sexually-based jokes that happens to be romantic most likely by accident". Yeah... that sounds about right.

Billicious - $2
Dirty jokes, hot chicks and beautiful scenery... what's not to like?
Total Rating: $8

If the cast of this movie were a super hero team, I think they would be the West Coast Avengers (oh man... nobody is going to get that reference... sigh). There aren't really any big time players, but there are a lot of familiar faces you've seen around the top names. Paul Rudd, Russel Brand, Bill Hader, Jonah Hill and that weird guy from 30 Rock keep the laughs coming from start to finish and add enough different styles of humor that everyone should be able to enjoy at least part if this movie. Give it a go, and let me know what you think!


No comments: