Sunday, November 30, 2008

Revolver

Revolver is a Guy Ritchie film that I somehow was oblivious to until I saw it on the sale list at Best Buy a couple weeks ago (not a bad way to spend $3.99). As you might expect, Jason "I'm the freaking man" Statham has a role in the film, and a hefty one this go around. He plays "Mr. Green" - and no this isn't Ritchie's take on Clue - who has just spent seven years in prison and is looking to climb his way up now that he's out. Having learned a few tricks from the chess master and con man that his cell sat between, Mr. Green finds himself stuck in a twisted series of criminal-against-criminal events involving drugs, cash and assassins... and Ray Liotta, of course. He must walk gently between the various mob bosses and drug lords he's involved with all while keeping his own sanity in check and life protected. Now, let's review shall we?

Original Release: 2005
Running Time: 115 minutes
Death - $1
I'm finding it's harder and harder to earn the full rating from me in this category. Sure there are a number of people being killed here, but it wasn't anything that knocked my socks off. To be fair, I wasn't even wearing socks but that's beside the point. Lots of people get shot and there's a little bit of subdued torture, but nothing that I had to pick my jaw up from the floor for. If I had a therapist, they may say this isn't healthy.

Acting - $2
Statham brings it. Liotta owns it. Andre 3000?? Well I'll be damned... he wasn't too shabby either. In all seriousness though, this was outside of the normal range for Statham and one of Andre's first stabs at acting, and they both were great. Liotta was in his pretty standard role but delivered it with gusto just the way we like it.

Repeat Play - $1
I will definitely be watching this again very soon, if only to make someone else watch it with me and see what they think. Parts of the movie are a little hard to follow but not in an annoying way... more of a "I need to sit through this again" way. So you win this round Guy Ritchie, you talented bastard. I still won't give you two Euros here though in case the desire to watch it falls off a cliff after the second viewing.

Shock Value - $2
Pretty much from the start I had no idea what was going to happen next. As we drew closer to the end the "twist" started to become a little more obvious but I was still completely unaware of what to expect from opening credits to close.

Billicious - $2
Revolver is different and fun and not well known... which is why I'm telling you fine folks about it! It took me on a ride I did not expect and that is not a feat easily accomplished anymore. For those folks that think every Guy Ritchie film is the same, then I suggest you give this a try.
Total Rating: $8

Revolver is an interesting ride that had me sitting up with curiosity and kept my eyes on the screen despite the fierce hangover I had while watching it. (Remember kids... friends don't let friends drink and blog!) I'm curious to see if anyone else was as pleasantly befuddled as I was, so if you've seen it then feel free to share your thoughts!


No comments: