Sunday, September 28, 2008

Smokin' Aces


Smokin' Aces is a veritable Whitman's sampler of actors. In lieu of naming them all, I will just direct you to the full list here. I can wait while you check it out... (whistling "Rio" by Duran Duran)... you back? Alrighty... moving on.

Seriously though, there is an incredible cast here and every single one of them carries more than their own weight. Basically, Jeremy Piven's character (Buddy "Aces" Isreal) is a Vegas magician with mob ties who is going to talk to the Feds to save his own behind. A hit gets put out with his name on it and every possible species of hitman decides to go after him. Ex-cop bounty hunters, psychotic redneck hitler-youth brothers, and a pair of sassy black lesbians are only part of the mix in this shoot-em-up film. More character development and a better story than you would expect add to an already fun and powerful movie. Interesting twists and creative kills keep your eyes on the screen and leave you a little bit bummed when it finally does have to end. I don't want to ruin anything though, so let us continue...

Original Release: 2006
Running Time: 109 minutes
(Don't forget to see how I rate my movies.)
Death - $2
We're talking quantity and quality here folks. Each of the odd-ball characters brings their own level of violent intensity and preferred methods for mayhem. Guns and blades from small to large and even a chainsaw for added measure. When all parties converge on the hotel Isreal is holed up in, it gets loud and bloody real quick.

Acting - $2
Considering the number of actors and characters in Smokin Aces, I was astounded by just how much you get drawn in to each one of them. I felt like all of the players had had their own movie, not a relatively minor part in one collaborative film. Those that were meant to be valiant, were valiant. Those meant to be conniving, were conniving. And those meant to be soulless cold-blood killers were that and more. I tip my hat to them all.

Repeat Play - $1
I can watch this from time to time, but probably not more than once a month. As I say this, I realize, that it's probably not normal to watch many movies more than once a month... but you know what... that's what I am writing this and you are only reading it. I really enjoy watching Smokin' Aces, but do feel that I need a little bit of time between each viewing to really appreciate it... and I think that might be the key. I don't just enjoy this movie. I appreciate it and I don't think it received the credit that it's due.

Shock Value - $1
The story itself has a pretty interesting twist, and then a shock on top of the twist, but I have to say that I was also somewhat surprised by who lived and who died. Granted there were some that had "pending corpse" written all over them, but some bit and it others didn't from my initial guesses.

Action and Ass-Kickery - $2
In case you skipped all the way down to this part, there's a lot of death in Smokin' Aces. And it's not "gas leaks into the room and everyone lays down" death. No no no... it is "guns a blazin, blood a splurtin, sweat a drippin" action-induced death. Gun fights and fist fights and all kinda of bad ass people strutting their stuff keep the action moving along with the story here. Variety is the spice of life, and the variety of violent personalities here was more than I could have asked for.
Total Rating: $8

I don't know what to say here that I haven't already said. Smokin' Aces is fun, action packed, and well cast with a rogues' gallery of federal agents, hitmen, and random cameos. Just go see it. If you don't agree, I will buy you a beer (as long as you live in the general vicinity of me and don't creep me out).

No comments: