Sunday, October 5, 2008

Spaceballs


Spaceballs is arguably Mel Brooks' finest and most popular film. Known for spoofing certain genres of film, Brooks focused all his energy here on none other than Star Wars. From beginning to end they poke fun at production techniques, characters and future "technology". The "Spaceballs" themselves are the equivalent of the Empire and, having used all of the air on their home planet, they have developed a way to steal it from the neighboring Druidia. The young Druish princess runs away on the day of her wedding so her father sends Lone Starr and Barf to bring her home, unwittingly putting them in the sites of Darth Helmet - the leader of the Spaceballs, played by the ever-intimidating Rick Moranis. Run-ins with other Star Wars spoofs - like the old and wise Yogurt and the intergalactic mob boss Pizza the Hutt - keep the laughs coming from beginning credits to end. Without any further ado... let's get into the review...

Original Release: 1987
Running Time: 96 minutes
(Read up on how I rate my movies.)
Hardee-Har-Har - $2
I have to admit that I am not a fan of every Mel Brooks film, but Spaceballs is pure genius. Being the Star Wars fan that I am, every single joke is spot on. But even for you non-nerds out there, Mel throws in plenty of humor that doesn't require prior Lucas-film knowledge. Brooks' typical style of one-liners and line-crossers will tickle the ribs of just about any viewer.

Effects & Animation - $1
Considering it had a fraction of the effects budget that Star Wars had, they pulled off the sci-fi feel pretty well. The fact that it is a spoof helps their cause though, as they aren't expected to top the charts in special effects. The few uses of more elaborate effects were well done though, and weren't the "Sci-Fi Channel made-for-TV-movie" caliber, which is what most would expect.

Critters & Creatures - $1
While not entirely original, Barf the mawg, Pizza the Hutt, Yogurt, Dinks Dinks and Dot Matrix are all blatant rip-offs of classic Star Wars characters and all still make me chuckle.

Repeat Play - $2
As I mentioned before, I am not a big fan of all Mel Brooks' films. I still have yet to sit through all of Blazing Saddles (don't judge) but I do love Robin Hood: Men In Tights. Spaceballs tops them all though - especially when it comes to repeat viewings. If I didn't already own the DVD, I would jump at every basic-cable airing because this is one of those movies that you don't have to be in a specific mood to watch. Mid-afternoon on a Sunday, drunk on the couch with friends, or right when you get home from work... there's always a good time to watch Spaceballs.

Nerd Factor - $2
Comedy nerds love Mel Brooks. Sci-Fi nerds love Star Wars. This movie is like the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups of nerd. I would also like to add that most sci-fi nerds feel that Spaceballs would have been better as "Episode 1" than that Phantom Menace crap-fest.

Total Rating: $8

I guess that wraps up another review. I don't really have a whole lot to say here at the end that I haven't already said above. And I know you're all pretty busy out there, so I won't kill too much more of your time. Don't forget to let me know your thoughts by leaving a comment.

No comments: